Friday, April 24, 2009

Machteld sends greetings from Holland

I dearly love this card! It reminds me of my childhood,
when I was enamored of all things 'Dutch'. I loved
windmills, tulips, wooden shoes, white-winged caps,
and Hans Brinker. My third grade class went to
a garden show in Houston and there was a huge
display of thousands of tulips with a windmill
turning its blades in the midst of them. I can still
see it in my mind! And did you ever sing,
'I am a pretty little Dutch girl,
As pretty as pretty can be,
And all the boys in the neighborhood
Are crazy over me!'
Thank you, Machteld, for such a nice card and
wonderful, nostalgic memories!
Machteld also told me a little of about her name, which is
an old Dutch name. The French equivalent is Matilde,
and she thinks the English would be Maud.
I once had a friend named Mateel, which I think is
also a variation of her name.
Again, thank you, Machteld--you live in a
country!

No comments: