Saturday, November 22, 2008

A New Card from Markku

Markku sent me this lovely birch forest.
As I told him, I love it because I don't often get the chance
to see birch trees--only when I go north
(the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, or Wisconsin, or Maine,
or some such place).
Thank you, Markku, for such a nice forest!

This pretty stamp carried my
forest card to me. I first thought
the little fellow on the card was
a fish swimming in the water.
However, when I looked closer,
I saw that there were trees
along the left side of the stamp so
he is a little bird.

All this talk about trees makes me think of

the poem by Joyce Kilmer, called, appropriately enough,

Trees

I think that I shall never see

A poem as lovely as a tree.

A tree whose hungry mouth is prest

Against the sweet earth's flowing breat;

A tree that looks at God each day

And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

A tree that may in summer wear

A nest of robins in her hair;

Upon whose bosom snow has lain,

Who intimately lives with rain.

Poems are made by fools like me,

But only God can make a tree.

No comments: